Alternative Forms of Assessment
As long as there have been schools, there have been tests and quizzes. These are important and valuable devices for measuring your students' learning and progress. Here are some alternative ways you can measure student learning and progress.
By the way - these strategies can be helpful to other students as well.
- Have students present an oral report to the class.
- Have students complete a research project.
- Have students complete an experiment.
- Have students keep a school journal.
- Have students create a story, poem, or piece of art.
- Have students provide a portfolio of their work
- Have students self-evaluate their work.
Using alternative forms of assessment breaks into the tedium of tests and quizzes, and provides a variety of ways for you to know more about your students' skills and abilities.