When a baseball team is going through a rough stretch, the manager will often call a team meeting to address a problem. As the manager of your class, you can call a class meeting to address a problem.
Here are some guidelines for a class meeting.
- Everyone can contribute their views. It is up to you to keep the discussion directed towards solving the problem. Discourage fault finding.
- You must make it clear to the students that they can express their views without fear ofcriticism.
- The best physical arrangement for a class meeting is when your students and you are seated in a circle. This arrangement allows a student to easily see you and all of the other students.
- The meeting should be brief anddepend upon the age of the students. Fifteen to thirty minutes should be enough time.
- The meeting should end with a resolution of the problem.