Research shows some learning and behavioral differences between boys and girls. But it is important not to teach based on stereotypes, and to give boys and girls equal opportunities to participate and learn.
Answer each of the following questions “Yes” or “No.”
- Do I expect boys to be assertive and active?
- Do I expect girls to be quiet and passive?
- Do I give more teaching attention to boys than girls during math instruction?
- Do I give more teaching attention to girls than boys during language arts instruction?
- Do I assign most leadership roles to boys?
- Do I punish boys more severely than girls for similar misbehaviors?
- Do I ask boys the harder questions?
Your answer to each question should be “No.” For any question answered “Yes,” strive to change your teaching behavior.