The use of guest speakers can provide your students with unique learning experiences. Guest speakers can provide special expertise, stimulate interest, and connect classroom learning to the real world.
There are numerous sources of guest speakers such as people in different careers, local business owners, and people with unusual hobbies.
When using a guest speaker, you should
- be certain the speaker has appropriate credentials.
- provide the speaker with your goals for their presentation.
- familiarize the speaker with the kinds of students he or she will be presenting to.
- encourage the speaker to prompt questions from your students.
- tell your students about the speaker in advance and have them prepare some questions they would like to ask.
- have your students send a letter of appreciation to the speaker following the presentation.