Making Math Concrete
Some students have difficulty understanding abstract math concepts. You can help these students by making the concepts as concrete as possible. Here are some ways to do this.
- Have the students use actual objects from the environment to solve problems requiring computation skills.
- Teach regrouping using manipulatives arranged in columns as in math problems.
- Use real money and clocks to teach the concepts of money and time.
- Have the students use rulers, scales, and measuring cups when learning measurement concepts.
- Have the students solve math problems that are related to their everyday lives.