Math is a difficult subject for many students as exemplified by the term “math anxiety”. This is a little surprising since math is a highly logical and sequential subject. You can help your students succeed and and reduce their anxiety by adhering to the correct sequencing of math topics.
Here are some of the sequences you should adhere to when teaching math:
- addition before multiplication.
- multiplication before division.
- place value before multi-digit operations.
- concept of fraction before concept of decimal.
- concepts of decimal, fraction, and ratio before concept of percent.
- concepts of fraction and ratio before concept of probability.
It is important to follow a scope and sequence chart when teaching any subject. It is especially important to do so when teaching math.