Remembering Students’ Names
Students feel that you have a personal interest in them if you know their names. Here are some ideas you can use to remember your students’ names at the beginning of the year.
- Require students to say their names every time they speak.
- Have students wear name tags or display triangular tent cards with their names on them at their desks.
- Use students’ names as frequently as possible.
- Ask students what they prefer to be called and write down any nicknames on the class roster.
- Return assignments to students individually to help you associate names with faces.
- Ask the students to share an interesting fact about themselves that you can associate with their names.
There always seems to be a small number of students whose names are difficult for you to remember. Be certain to use these students’ names with extra frequency.