Student participation brings a lively dimension to any class. Unfortunately, many students are reluctant to participate. Here are some ways to encourage student participation.
- Make your goals for the class session clear.
- Ask questions that require more than a simple “yes” or “no” response.
- Emphasize to students that any question they ask is a good question. Rephrase questions whenever needed.
- Encourage students to respond to other students’ comments.
- Assign a student in advance to lead a class discussion.
- Don’t let one or two students dominate a class session.
- Engage the students with material that is interesting and relevant to their lives.
- Be active yourself. Maintain eye contact and move about the room.