Teaching Tip: Earning Students' Respect
One of the keys to establishing a well-managed classroom is to have your students respect you. Having students follow your rules and instructions because they respect you is far more effective than if they do so out of fear of consequences.
Here are some simple things you can do to earn your students' respect.
- Treat your students as you would like to be treated if you were a student.
- Listen to your students - really listen. Hear their points of view before reaching conclusions.
- Provide positive and constructive feedback when students make errors or transgress. Never embarrass or insult them.
- Trust your students to make choices and take responsibility.
- Above all, model respectful behavior. Treat all your students fairly.